10/10/11

Sand Collection

So back in July, I showed you the way I LOVE to display my vacations in my house.  If you didn't see that post, here it is...Travel Collage, Scrapbook, Picture, Display, Thing  but don't forget to come back and finish this post.  :) 

Well, another obsession of mine is collecting sand from all of the different beaches and islands I visit.  I saw this concept in a magazine years ago, fell head-over-heels IN LOVE with it, started my collection shortly there after, and haven't stopped since!  I just added my 11th vase of sand, and this is what my collection looks like today (when put all together).   


I'm not sure exactly what excites me the most...visiting these beautiful places, creating new memories, bringing a new sand home and being able to compare it to the others (color, texture, grain size, etc.), buying another funky vase, or just adding adding to my collection?  Who knows?  What I DO know is I LOVE IT!

More pics...



 
Now, how to start your collection is quite obvious, but I do have some tips!

1)  Go somewhere fabulous, make some memories, and bring home some sand! 
TIP:  The best thing to keep your sand in while traveling is an empty water bottle.  If you have a larger vase you plan to use, you will probably need two water bottles of sand.  

2)  Get a vase:  I purchase my vases from random stores.  I have found most of them from Pier One, but I've also found some from Wal-Mart, Home Goods, Dollar General, etc.  I try my best to have different sizes and shapes, but I DO prefer all of them to be plain clear glass (no color tints, no embellishments, no indentations, etc).  The lady in the magazine had hers in Mason Jars, which is great because it comes with a lid!  But, you do whatever!

3)  Make a cute tag:  I use an off-white thick card stock.  You want the tag to be thicker than normal paper for sure, because otherwise it looks cheap and flimsy.  Write what beach or island you were on, punch a hole in the top, thread a string through it, and tie it around your cute new vase.

4)  Find a place to display it and you're done! 

Each vase in my collection holds SO many memories.  I have the sand from the beach in Florida where I stood barefoot and said "I do" to my best friend, the 3 beaches in the Caribbean where I spent an exhausting but CRAZY FUN weekend island hopping with some of the best women in the world, the beach in Mexico where my husband and I honeymooned, the beach on Disney's private island where I spied (or at least tried to spy) on Steve Harvey, the beach in Jamaica where my husband and I celebrated our 3rd wedding anniversary and also the baby we are expecting in March.  I could go on and on! 

Hopefully this has inspired you to start your own collection.  Maybe you aren't into the sand thing...think outside the box!  Be creative and find other ways to display your precious vacation memories other than a dusty old photo album that never gets flipped through.   :)

If you need any help finding an island to visit to start your collection, you know who to call!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment