7/28/11

Something about passports every BRIDE should know


Brides NEVER get back from their honeymoon with "change my passport" on their to-do list.  They're busy moving into a new home, writing thank you notes, finding a company to preserve their dress, calling their photographer on a weekly basis for an E.T.A on their pictures.  I know…I’ve been there!  :)  So, naturally the passport is no where close to the to-do list, much less ON it.  BUT if I told you it would save you $135, I'm sure you'd put it on the list, wouldn't you?

Now it's time for my BIG MONEY SAVING tip: 

If it has been less than a year from the date your current passport was issued and your name has been legally changed, you can have your passport updated without a fee!  Even better, you don't even have to go to the Post Office to do it!  This is all you have to do...

Mail in:   * your current, valid U.S. passport
                  * completed form DS-5504 (I provided the link below)
                  * original or certified copy of your marriage certificate
                  * a new 2x2 passport photo

POOF...it's done, and it didn't cost you a dime! 

Most people assume you have to apply for a whole new passport to update their name, so they toss their passport in a dresser drawer and forget about it until they get ready to travel again.  By that time, they've PROBABLY passed the 1 year mark so guess what...they're going to be spending a fat 135 bucks on a new passport. 

This is something I wish I had known 3 years ago!  I'm departing for Jamaica in less than two months, and guess where $135 of my money is going.  YUP!  Merry Christmas US Post Office, Love The Cains!   

If you're still within that year requirement, print this form out TO-DAY and get this done!  You WILL call me for another trip within the next 10 years, you WILL need your passport to be updated, and you WILL be glad you did it!

If you are past the year requirement, then girl...I know how you feel!  It's just one more reason women have it worse than men.  :)
 

Link to Form DS-5504:  http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds5504/ds5504_2663.html

No comments:

Post a Comment